Monday 26 December 2011

Healthy-eating plot

So I was thinking about New Year's resolutions today (which will surely have their own post soon!) and settled on my usual "Eat healthily and lose some weight!" resolution. I can't remember ever not making this as a resolution - and it has never really worked. I have nearly always been unhappy with my weight and the way I look, and while this unhappiness doesn't rule my life, it has always been a bother and I would love to be a healthy weight. I mostly used to want this so that I could look prettier, but these days (starting to feel old at the ripe old age of 21) I just want to be healthy. 
I, like a lot of overweight people, have tried many different ways to lose the weight - portion control, counting calories, cutting out all sugar etc etc, but I have a few ideas about how to do it in a way that won't make me miserable.
  1. Increase my fruit and veg intake. This one should be fairly easy, but one thing I need is recipes for different ways to have vegetables - I get a bit bored of "meat and two-veg" style meals. 
  2. Three exercise sessions a week - One low energy for an hour (E.g. walking) one medium energy for half an hour (E.g. swimming) one high energy for half an hour (E.g. jogging, interval training) - I don't want to take on too much but I feel as though this could be do-able.
  3. Eat less sugar - This one's the big one. I eat WAY too much sugar - you know what they say about it being addictive, and I love baking and sweet treats... I think that this step will be the most challenging for me
  4. Drink more water and eat more fish - Fish is shown to be pretty much the most epic of foods ever - high in protein and good fats, not to mention vitamins, minerals and omega-3. Also I love fish! Need to learn some more recipes and try some new types of fish but this part will be very easy and tasty for me :)
  5. Include treats - all things in moderation!
I would say that's all within reach... hopefully! But another big part of the weight-loss question is whether or not I should set a specific goal, how many pounds to lose a week etc, or whether I should just go on how I'm feeling and looking? Its a toughie.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment