Thursday 26 April 2012

Dateland: 9bar coffee

It occurred to me the other that the key to a really great date is knowing the place you live. To expand on this, I will start by defining what a great date means to me - I have been in a relationship for the last 5 years. That's a long time for anyone, but especially since we're both still pretty young, we have been together for a quarter of our lives. Crazy! This means that for me, while movie-and-pizza dates are still pretty amazing, I want something a bit interesting, something new, preferably something involving food. In order to get a bit of variety, it's important to know the area you live in, know what's going on, and know about new places. 
In this post series, I've decided to share all my favorite date locations and activities in and around Newcastle, mostly in the Heaton area, for your viewing pleasure...

So the first of these: 9bar coffee. 
I went to get my hair cut today. Terrible idea. It was raining incredibly heavily all day and my freshly straightened hair was a frizzball waiting to happen, so we were peering out of the hairdresser's windows, trying to find somewhere nearby to go for lunch, and we spotted this place.
  It is decorated in this amazing manner throughout, all the posters say funny things like "Coffee! Do stupid things faster!", the staff were super friendly and the food. Oh my.

  We had deep-fried risotto balls stuffed with mozzarella and shin beef ragu - so delicious and cheap! 2 for £3.75. We also had the most amazing of cheese toasties - super-strong Northumbrian cheddar, spring onions, sourdough toast and melted butter...
 Rather the lovely date, even though it was rather an impromptu one to avoid being rained on! 
Date rundown
Location: 9bar coffee, next to the theatre, Grey street, Newcastle upon Tyne
Occasion: Lunchtime on a Thursday
Food: risotto balls, cheese and onion toasty, walnut and date cake, ginger beer, hot chocolate
High point: guys next to us all sniffing each others wrists and comparing man-perfume in manner incredibly reminiscent of characters in American Psycho 

No comments:

Post a Comment