Saturday 5 May 2012

Dateland: Dabba Wal

Time for another Dateland post! Will and I went to see the Avengers this afternoon, cue lots of comments like "Avengers assemble... some flatpack furniture!" and then onto this new Indian restaurant called Dabba Wal.
Avengers was awesome, there was a lot of amazing Whedonesque banter and (spoiler alert!) my favorite bit by far was when the Hulk picked up Loki and just whacked him off the floor like a rag doll - that sounds horrible, but for some reason was completely hilarious...










I'm normally a little wary about Indian food, basically because I'm rather pathetic when it comes to spicy food, but I thought I'd branch out a bit this time and order something different than a Korma or Tikka Masala - ended up going for a salmon and potato curry, with tomato and coconut sauce. 
To me, that all sounded quite innocent - but it was hotter. than. the sun.
Very tasty nonetheless, and wonderful peshwari naan too...



The place where Dabba Wal is now used to be a similarly lovely restaurant called the flatbread cafe, and to my delight, they have kept a lot of the same decour - lots of pink and green (one of my favorite color combinations) and pretty geometric patterns. The staff were extremely friendly and attentive - the overall experience gets 8 sheepish grins.

 Date rundown

Location: Dabba Wal
Occasion: Saturday night
Food: Salmon and crushed potato curry, mustard chicken curry, peshwari naan, spiced potato naan, poppadoms and chutney, lemon tart and Indian-style cardamom milk-dough balls
Drinks: Pinot Grigio and Elderflower presse 
High point: When I had a firestorm in my mouth and obviously did big crazy eyes as Will started laughing at me


Will says: "Nothing was less than excellent."


Happy weekend!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment