Thursday 10 May 2012

Health, wealth and Happiness Thursday - Roast tomato soup

It's been a while since I've done one of these, and I know it's soup again, but that's because soup is all shades of amazing and I really really like it. Might go on a bit of a soup rampage.

But anyway, I got and then altered this recipe from the New Covent Garden Soup Company Book, as I didn't have any fennel...

You will need
About 4lb tomatoes (I got mine in a couple of big bags at the market for 50p each)
4 onions
4 sticks celery
4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 bay leaves
some fresh rosemary and thyme
half a de-seeded chilli, chopped
150ml vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
plus
Nice bread
Various delicious cheeses


 
  Chop tomatoes, onions and celery, then lay the tomatoes cut-side up on a baking tray and grill until soft and beginning to darken at the edges. Preheat the oven to 190C. 
Heat oil in a pan, then add garlic, chilli and herbs. Cook for two minutes, then add the onions and celery. Cook for a further two minutes, then pour everything in this pan into a roasting tray and roast for 30 minutes.
Once cooked, put everything back into your original pan, and puree or blend - I tend to use a stick blender because I find it easiest and results in less washing up, but you could also use a food processor- then reheat and add the salt, sugar and lemon juice. Serve with tasty bread and cheese - baguette and chevre dipped into the soup was delicious!
  The cost worked out at about £1.50 per portion (serves 4-6), it was full of vegetables and was utterly delicious - health wealth and happiness test passed!



Will and I were helping his brother Anis do some recording today also...

No comments:

Post a Comment