Thursday 5 July 2012

Dateland: The Baltic center for contemporary art

The Baltic is just about to celebrate it 10th Anniversary - boy is that making me feel my age! I remember when it first opened! 
In those 10 years, it has hosted hundreds of works - some good, some not so good. Every time that Will and I go, there tends to be some things that are excellent, and some that are not so good.
 I follow my dad's advice about art galleries and museums - take it at a decent pace and wait for something to jump out and stop you. I always get very tired walking at "museum speed", so this advice serves me well. I also find it very important that the art has some aesthetic value - with modern art it can all sometimes get a bit meta, and you find yourself searching for meaning in the often (let's face it) pretentious explanations that they have at the start of the exhibition...

Nevertheless, they had some fun things on this visit. I didn't take many pictures as they have a strict policy regarding cameras, but I sneakily took one or two with my phone.
This is just one corner of one of the pieces, a giant chessboard covered with 65,536 stones - there was some kind of explanation about what it meant, but in my view, it was just nice to look at. And that's pretty important. 

 There are details of the other pieces we looked at here. 

Then we had a little too much fun playing on the giant staircase...


Then made fun of the notice telling us not to touch anything...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment